Saturday, July 06, 2013

Looking at quilts... now and then.

Last December I bought a used Long Arm quilting machine... it was such a good deal and I knew that I could put it to use-- but I did not have a designated space for it (details!)  It was bought and the task of figuring out where to set it up became the studio rearrangement project/life rearrangement project of 2013.  I am not there yet-- I am definitly doing the good work of getting there and in the mean time I am making lots of simple tops to use as practice for when the garage is finally insulated and lit.

I am accepting now that life is a series of plans we make and then what we end up doing when those plans need some tweaking.  The plan tweaking has been such a good learning experience... 2013 is my year of saying YES to things.  I am spending less time over-weighing what a precious stack of FQs is going to be and just cutting them up and sewing them back together.  I am trying out using a pattern!

My Tula Pink, Birds&Bees, is now a fun (and fast) top made with the St. Louis 16 Patch tutorial(picture below).  Above is a Modern Meadows version of Mardi Gras by Villa Rosa designs  (Patterns for less than a latte!! I got to meet her at Spring Quilt Market and that was super fun!)

Jelly roll race with my self... this is going to be a happy little quilt for my hammock!

This is the first quilt that I ever made... I thought I was going to hand quilt the whole thing and finished 3 blocks before I tied the rest.  Best laid plans, no?!  I think that the old adage of "finished is better than perfect" is really good to remember.

I will practice reminding myself of that.  Also I need to ask myself more often "What am I planning and what am I actually doing?"

I want to be in the practice of doing.



Tonya Ricucci said...

wow, you've gotten so much done. fun tops! hope that studio gets finished soonest.

Cher said...

well done! yes, taking action is a good feeling...keep saying yes!